Friday, February 16, 2007

Welcome!

Welcome to Scriptwrangler's blog. My goal is to create an online community for screenwriters, from novice to jaded, where we can explore the art of writing for film, dispel a few myths, bemoan the whole process, and find a little solace, and maybe the occasional writing partner.

I am a working screenwriter. I've worked on three produced films, including Mission Movie and Strange Culture, which, I'm proud to say, just premiered at Sundance. I have a couple scripts under development, another that should be, and a few more that should be chopped up, burned, and buried in the basement. But a large portion of my work day involves working with other people's scripts, as a critic, script editor, and coach. The internet, and, of course, computers and screenwriting software, has opened up the craft of screenwriting, once the domain of a relatively small community in southern California, to just about anyone with enough time and determination to put words to paper.

This is a good thing, of course. But if you combine the internet and film industry culture, you're bound to get your share of scammers, blowhards, know-it-alls, egos and s**theads. Now we have Web 2.0 -- and with a little luck we can democratize the whole process and make it easier for the single mom in North Carolina, the contractor in Reno, and the recent college grad in New York City to learn a bit from each other.

I'll try to post tips and issues every few days here. One of the great things about working as a script coach is the constant, daily reminder about the basics of screenwriting. I'll post what I'm dealing with, and, with a bit of luck, start discussions in the comments section. I invite you to comment on anything you see, positive or negative. If there's a topic you'd like to see covered, please get in contact. Thanks!

No comments: